Sunday, November 15, 2009

Trust in the Lord

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

This has been a busy and exciting week, beginning with the Monday holiday (during which the guys from the got together for a baseball game), all the way through Saturday night, in which a group of teens and young adults from this church went to another small church 45 minutes away to encourage the believers there with special music and a message from Scripture. From relaxation and fellowship to class preparation and study, I have been constantly reminded this week of two things: TRUST in the Lord, and LEAN NOT unto thine own understanding.

As time goes on, and I learn more about the people and my students, I realize how much I really DON'T know. This serves as a continual reminder of the importance of depending on God for wisdom and guidance.

This has been especially applicable as the English teachers and I have begun to rehearse with the more advanced English students a drama in ENGLISH of the Book of Esther. As the students face the combined difficulties of effectively presenting a drama AND using a language other than their own, they are completely dependent upon us as instructors to teach them what they need to know in order to be successful. One day this week, an interesting debate came up over the use of a word in English. I backed up the other teachers in their correction (as the native speaker), and the student started to argue his point. At this moment, one of the teachers asked him, "Are you going to correct an American?" That settled the question. But that brought up the thought -- how many times in MY understanding do I try to argue my point, or simply depend on my own wisdom, and not God's direction? "Are you going to correct God?"

I hope each one of you has a blessed week, knowing that we have a God who is worthy of our trust and confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment